Monday, May 1, 2017

The challenges for this year

Last year I did a personal challenge to make a birthday card for everyone in our extended family that I knew. By the end of the year I was sending out a lot of belated birthday cards. I tried hard to make each card in some way to fit what I knew about the person. The year ended with me doing the same thing for Christmas cards. This year I haven't sent out many birthday cards! I wonder why...

Instead I'm doing the same thing different ways challenges. I'm trying out different designs for similar stamps. When I'm not doing that I'm doing different design techniques. So far I've learned to make box cards, gate fold cards, belly bands and clasps, wobble cards, paper layering die cut cards and to use a variety of patterned papers, materials, sketches, and to use color combinations out of my comfort zone. I've also dabbled with chameleon markers and a variety of watercolor techniques.

For the last half of the year, before Christmas card season hits again, I want to make slider cards, pop up cards, better shaker cards and to use different materials such as fabrics, metal, mousse, sprays and oxide inks. I want to learn to stamp personal names on cards, use numbers in the designs and make shape cards. So much to learn, so little time. Sigh.I want to mostly use my stash and learn to stretch it after that. Mother's Day cards are done so now on to Father's Day cards.

As far as business ventures I am planning to try selling some of my cards from the past at a sale this next week. Also, I'm doing a de-stash and hope to enter more challenges in the future that point back to my blog. Which means I've finally gotten my blog up and working in a way that makes sense to me with a name I like. Now I'm ordering a personal stamp for the backs of my cards and have learned to put an overlay watermark on my photos. Next I hope to get business cards made. Below is a picture of the first card I posted with my watermark. I now can do this via my computer but still have to figure out how to do it with my phone on instagram.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Henry's 5th Birthday Card

March is always a challenging time of year in the midwest. It seems like March brings the promise of Spring but the fulfillment of flu and c...