Sunday, June 11, 2017

Two Tips: Cutting panels without waste from Bristol Smooth & Using Hero Arts Color Layering Stamps

Thought I'd also share two tips I used on the sea turtle card.

First on is for cutting Strathmore Bristol Smooth card stock with little waste.  I buy the large pad, I found mine at Hobby Lobby and bought it with a 40 % off coupon. It is 11 x 17 inches and has 24 sheets. With this size there is no waste if you plan to cut the sheets into 4.25 x 5.5 inch panels. Just cut the 4.25 from the 17 inch long side and you'll get exactly 4. Then cut each strip of 4.25 in half for the 5.5 inch side for 8 panels of 4.25 x 5.5.

Second tip: Figuring out the stamps to use for each layer on the legs of the turtle took me a while. When I had them figured out, using the back of the packaging diagram included with the stamps, I put each leg and head layer stamp onto an acrylic block. So one block had stamp layer two's stamps arranged on it in the shape of the turtle...forward legs near head and back legs at the far edge, and layer three had the same arrangement on a separate acrylic block. That way I could make a bunch of turtles without getting mixed up or having to figure it out each time I stamped a new turtle. I also arranged the mini ink cubes from lightest to darkest to match the order of stamping. The lightest cube was layer one which is one whole stamp of the turtle. Layer two adds some outline lines to the shell , head and legs and layer three is mostly the dotted parts on the skin using the darkest ink and it also adds the dark rings and edges to the shell. The shells were easy to keep track of so I didn't put them on the acrylic blocks. 

Hope this helps for the Hero Arts Color Layering Sea Turtle Stamp set and for cutting Bristol Smooth into panels without wasting paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Henry's 5th Birthday Card

March is always a challenging time of year in the midwest. It seems like March brings the promise of Spring but the fulfillment of flu and c...